Juice continues a somewhat popular trend found throughout our creative writing course and its materials: mildly confusing, subtly cryptic, and wholly meandering literature. I found myself constantly going back to re-read sections of the text to make sure I knew what was stated, that there was a definite connection to the rest of the text; and, while a lot of times it didn't make a whole lot of sense, it certainly knew how to show itself off. Even if someone were to read this book in its entirety, and misunderstand the context of every single page, I would find it hard to believe that they couldn't pick up on some of the awesome, wholly imaginative uses of imagery throughout (though I only have currently read ~half the book, so excuse me if it takes a 180-degree turn and does something unpredictable).
I suppose, if one were to be confused by the erratic nature of the text, they could just interpret the entire thing as a dream sequence of sorts and forgive the jumping narrative. In my opinion, at least from ongoing discussions with classmates, the poetic styling of this novella will be the main hindrance for readers. Something about poetry just seems to turn people off, and while this work is certainly written with prose at the structural center, its flow is very poetic-- throw a few line-breaks in, and you'd have some contemporary poetry to accompany our earlier poetry packets.
Oh, and the current affairs of juice afflicting our main characters are humorous, I suppose, but utterly nonsensical-- am I missing something, or is this just a weird fetish?
Great responses to the fiction reading/writing here.
ReplyDelete